Scott Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Fri Feb 28 18:37:45 EST 1997

>>> Robert Herriot <Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM> 02/27/97 02:06pm
>>>
> Actually, we did say that an IPP server must support IPP AND HTML
>  because if HTML is optional, then a client which expects HTML, must
> have a fallback. If  clients must have a fallback to IPP, then no server
>  need have HTML.

What about current browsers that have not been written to IPP but have
been written to use HTML?  We leave them out in the cold?

> I think the primary issue is whether a server gives exactly the same
> information and capabilities via IPP and HTML.

The semantic mapping for IPP over HTTP will not include any presentation
information.  The semantic mapping for IPP over HTML must not as well.
So IPP over HTML will just be abstract attributes and values.  There will
be an infinite number of ways to realize this in HTML.

I see IPP over HTML as just another way to do just a Get Attributes
operation (and maybe a Get Jobs) operation.  Not a Print or a Cancel.
The resulting HTML file will not be parsable by a program, but should be
displayable by a browser and understandable to an end user.

Scott