Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Mar 3 12:19:17 EST 1997

I think we all agree that the requirements document should be
changed to not be called "Requirements for WEB-based broswer
Internet Printing".  We certainly want IPP to be used from any
application on the desktop (transparently to the application and
to the desktop printer driver).

However, browsers are updated on a frequent basis and made available
either free or for a low price, so that one way to deploy a new protocol
is for the browsers to pick up the new protocol.  That may be why
some in the IPP have been advocating a protocol similar to HTTP, but
not actually the same.  Because if IPP is similar, then it will be easier
for the browsers to be updated.  If IPP is not the same as HTTP, then
some of the baggage that will go along with HTTP as it evolves will not
need to be dragged along into IPP.  Those of us who have been advocating
to use HTTP directly have been trying to solve the deployment problem
by being able to use existing browsers.

So we need some kind of requirement that says whether IPP is depending
on using existing browsers, or can wait for the next round of browser
deployments.

The other way that IPP will be deployed is for the "port drivers", also
called re-directors, that sit under the desktop printer driver and relays
to the remote printer what the desktop printer driver thinks is control
and data that the desktop printer is sending to the local printer.

Is there some kind of requirement or assumption that we can agree upon
and add to the requirements that would be something like "Assumed
Deployment Strategy and Timing"?

Tom