Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 6 17:55:33 EST 1997

At 02:14 PM 3/6/97 PST, Keith Moore wrote:
>> The IPP group is still eagerly waiting your feedback on the Charter
>> business as well as confirmation on our slot in Memphis.
>
>The IESG met earlier today and discussed the IPP charter. It decided
>to approve the working group once the following changes are made to
>the charter:
>
>+ The WG has to make recommendations as to how to acheive reasonable
>  compatibility between ipp and lpr.  IESG understands that lpr is
>  insufficient in its current form and basically non-extensible, that
>  its behavior varies widely between implementations and so does not
>  produce repeatable results, and that it lacks the security needed
>  for printing in a global Internet.  However, IESG also recognizes
>  that lpr is widely deployed, and that a new protocol -- even a much
>  better one -- could be disruptive to the installed base.
>
>+ There is a new requirement that all working group charters
>  explicitly address security, so we need to add this.
>
>Just to be clear: the working group has been approved, but I have to
>show that these things have been incorporated to the charter before
>the group is formally created.  So I'll add a paragraph or two to the
>charter that reflects what IESG agreed to, and run it by the IPP
>chairs before giving it to the IESG Executive Director.

Keith,

thanks for the good news.  We are already working on security, so that
should not cause any problem as far I can see.

I am not yet quite clear on what the requirement to have "reasonable
compatibility to LPR" will mean in practise. I believe that we already have
all the comparable functionality in our new solution, and that building
gateways between IPP and LPR should not be too difficult. Is the IESG
looking for more than that?  When you talk about LPR compatibility I assume
that it is limited to the rather rather small subset in RFC 1179, rather
then the actual "LPR inspired" products, with considerably more
functionality, that people actually use...   Let us see what your proposed
text looks like.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com