IPP> MOD - Paper size

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Mon Mar 17 08:22:34 EST 1997

While quite an interesting problem (and which Lexmark has
solved with its Windows and OS/2 drivers) I do think it is out
of scope for IPP.  This function is more than a simple turn on/
turn off operation like stapling, etc., it really changes the
appearance of the document.  Then again, I think trying
to use late binding to do duplex is WRONG because it
cannot change the footers, for example, to keep the page
numbers on the outside edges of the bound pages.  This is
just another example.  Should the printer do a page eject
when the A4 lines exceed the US Letter page length?  Should
it just shrink the A4 page to fit on US Letter? etc? etc? etc?
Late binding cannot propoerly solve this problem and a
half-baked solution won't work because every printer is not
capable of handling this and the server surely isn't.  If you
don't format the document for the right paper size, don't
expect the spooling system or the transport layer to
fix it for you.

Sure I'd like for IPP to solve every problem but I don't
think this is one can be reasonably done on our schedule
nor do I think it falls in the 80% region.

My 2 cents worth....

Don