IPP> Conference Call Minutes

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Mon Mar 17 10:56:34 EST 1997

The minutes for the last conference call (March 12th) have
been uploaded to ftp.pwg.org.  They are located in:

pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970312-ipp-conference-call.txt
pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970312-ipp-conference-call.pdf

Additionally, the text version is attached below:

Internet Printing Project
Conference Call - March 12, 1997

The meeting was called to order at 4:05 PM EST.

Attendees:

Bob Herriott - Sun
Carl-Uno Manros - Xerox
Roger Debry - IBM
Peter Zehler - Xerox
Randy Turner - Sharp
Don Wright - Lexmark
Tom Hastings - Xerox
Scott Isaacson - Novell
Steve Zilles - Adobe
Lee Farrell - Canon
Dave Kellerman - Northlake Software
Jeff Copeland - QMS
Mabry Dozier - QMS
Patrick Powell - San Diego State

Agenda:

- Requirements Document
- Security
- Documentation Requirements

REQUIREMENTS

There have been a number of suggestions that additional scenarios or more
scenarios be added.  Roger
Debry suggested that the requirements should be more general and that the model
document would be
more specific while the requirement document should be more general.

Are there too many scenarios in the document?  Are there too many error cases
in the document.

Review of the comments and notes proposed by the mailing list.

Requirements document to be silent on the actual implementation of a
non-spooling printing.

Requirements document must state support for printer drivers that generate and
transmit the document on
the fly without know the length of the document ahead of time.  We should
remove the specific
"chunking" flows in the scenarios.  The end-user requirement is that the
end-user needs to be able to
determine the status of his print job even while the job is still spooling.

Requirement - server can terminate the session before the whole job has been
submitted

PROTOCOL

Bob Herriott reviewed the work done at the protocol meeting last Friday.
Minutes of that meeting will be
issued shortly.  Randy Turner and Scott Isaacson will be issuing whitepapers in
key areas of the protocol
workbased on this meeting.

SCHEDULE

We will continue to drive to the existing schedule for document creation.  It
was felt that moving the
schedule out at this time would only delay the documents more.

IETF AGENDA

We should limit discussion at the meeting to the PROTOCOL and SECURITY
documents and keep the
discussion on REQUIREMENTS and MODELING documents very light.

Carl-Uno will create an agenda and distribute it to the mailing list.

AUSTIN AGENDA

Major time at the Austin meeting should be spent on Model and Protocol with
some time spent on
Security.

Scott Isaacson has create a version 1.6 Model document containing a major
re-write of the front sections.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

Discussion on the WEB Page and how to organize it.
We have a pointer to our WEB page on the Application's area WEB Page.
The FAQ needs to be reviewed by everyone with comments sent to Carl-Uno.

A request was made by Patrick Powell to use an 800 number for the conference
call.  No one wanted to
offer up and pay for an 800 number for this call.  It was felt that spreading
the cost among the participants
was the most equitable solution.

The meeting adjourned at 6:05 PM EST

Don

* Don Wright (don at lexmark.com)        Lexmark International *
* Manager                               Strategic Alliances *
* 740 New Circle Rd                     Phone: 606-232-4808 *
* Lexington, KY  40511                    Fax: 606-232-6740 *