IPP> MOD - Concerns about "fan-in"

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Thu Mar 20 05:08:33 EST 1997

Regarding Issue #79 ("Add Printer fan-in") in Tom's recently posted
issues document:

>   ftp::/ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/
> -rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        19968 Mar 20 08:42 isstnh03.doc
> -rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        23062 Mar 20 08:43 isstnh03.pdf

I understand the desired goal as stated by Tom in his document.  I also
agree that some sort of "default job ticket" mechanism can be very useful
in providing for the automatic setting/assignment of document production
attributes.

However, if the model then implies that "Printer" is not really a
one-to-one association with a physical printer, we are going to run
into some complexities when we (eventually) try to design management
capabilities.

That is, if a management-oriented app wants to use IPP as a way to
determine the set of printers that may be managed, how does the app
discover the actual physical printers associated with a Printer?

With "fan-in" (as proposed), when it comes to management of physical
printers, the management side of the model can't use the concept of
"Printer" due to this type of association.

Comments?

	...jay