IPP> "IPP" == "DPA"

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Thu Mar 20 15:23:17 EST 1997

Harry and Scott,

Well said, indeed.  (Normally I would not append original messages
in their entirety in a response, but since the words are so compelling,
I have done so in this case so that others may immediately reference
those opinions.)

Since DPA wants to cover the entire known universe, then fine.
Let it do so...and let the market react accordingly.

However, why can't IPP be *initially* developed to be very, very
simple, thereby garnering rapid acceptance across the board in the
marketplace?  (In much the same manner as HTTP, SMTP, etc, as Scott has
pointed out.)

It really appears (to me, anyway) that the very same people who
developed DPA over an EIGHT YEAR PERIOD are now trying to simply use
IPP as a front-end to DPA back-end engines and related technologies.

Interfacing DPA to IPP should be done in the same manner (and same
attitude, for that matter) as is being done for LPR/LPD.  It's really
that simple.

One other thing is worthy of mention here, along the lines of
complexity vs. simplicity.  The PMP group has been wrestling with the
issues surrounding implementation of the Printer MIB now for quite some
time; same goes for the never-seems-to-complete Job Monitoring MIB by
the JMP group.  You would think the IPP participants could learn
something from the issues the PMP and JMP groups have encountered when
trying to deal with a "too fat" specification.

However, if you notice, almost all of the major contributors of the IPP
effort are new to the PWG organization, and have no real working
experience whatsoever in the history of the PMP group, in particular.
It would be more than instructive if those participants could take some
time to understand the ramifications of the work done by the PMP group
(and that of the ongoing JMP effort), particularly with respect to
time-to-market issues surrounding implementation.

I, for one, am really afraid we are destined to repeat the mistakes
of the PMP and JMP groups for the IPP initiative if we continue down
the path of "cover the world" complexities.  It might be useful to
recall the famous quote:

	"Those who ignore the past are bound to repeat it."

Harry and Scott have voiced their opinions regarding the need to
keep IPP simple.  Roger also voiced an opinion; however, with all
due respect, his comments made it sound as if the IPP was in some
way *required* to satisfy all known requirements, based on apparent
market demand.

Any other opinions out there?  Now would be a great time to hear from
everyone on this issue...before it's too late.

	...jay