Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 20 18:36:07 EST 1997

For the agenda topic:

>- Request attributes by file type

For those of us that were not on the telecon recently,
Bob had a proposal to remove the file-type adornment and to
allow the requester to specify a document-format as an input parameter
to the Get Attributes operation on a Printer and the Printer would return
only the attributes and values that apply to such a document-format.

If the requester left out the document-format, the Printer would supply
its default document format as the implicit input parameter to filter out
attributes and values that don't apply.

This sounded to me like a real simplification and what real users and
client software needed, since the client software know what document
format it is capable of producing and isn't interested in attributes
and values that apply to other document formats.

For a printer that only can consume a single document format, this new
idea means that there is NO IMPLEMENTATION BURDER on the implementation
for this

Tom