IPP> Re: Additional IPP comments -Reply

Scott A. Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Fri Apr 4 11:37:03 EST 1997

I like this discussion about "mangagment facilities" and IPP v1 or v2.
I first summarize some of the comments that have been made and then
I add my own comments below:

Jay writes:
> I completely agree with Bob Sproull.  Another advantage to keeping
> printing separate from management is that the printing specs should
> advance more rapidly.
>
> It is only natural to consider the ramifications of management while
> developing the printing standards, but the specs should be on entirely
> separate tracks.

My comments:

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with Bob and Jay.  There should be different
tracks for Management Facilities vs End User Facilities.  This is such
a good idea, we are doing that right now!  There are at least THREE
tracks right now...

END USER
     1. IPP - end user job submission

MANAGEMENT
     2. Job Monitoring MIB - job monitoring via SNMP (accounting)
     3. Printer MIB - printer management via SNMP

If we want to "add" Administrative or Management operations, they
should be defined separately since (as Bob says) not all client
implementations will want to take on this burden and support these
new operations.  In other words, IPP V2.0 should never have
Admin or Management operations.

However, we may want to add some "end user job control"
operations to IPP.  Right now IPP has no "move" or "modify my
job" or "pause/resume my job" or " hold/release my job".  I can
some of these as part of IPP past v1.0.  Sometimes we loosly call
these management functions, however they are end user job control
functions.

Scott Isaacson
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: scott_isaacson at novell.com
W: http://www.novell.com