IPP>MOD - conformance

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Wed Apr 9 14:23:47 EDT 1997

     Although I agree with Jay and Bob in principle, it brings up an
     interesting point.

     My understanding is that there are two phases of the IPP project which
     may be sequential or concurrent. One is providing an internet printing
     capability that does not require any modification of or addition to
     extant clients. The other is providing a full featured IPP printing
     capability; this appears to require a client activity. It is unclear
     at the moment if these two phases are to be addressed in one pass, if
     there is to be one standard or two, or if indeed the former phase
     needs a formal standard.

     However, if one agrees that some aspect of IPP will need a custom
     client, and if standards track requires compatibility demonstrations,
     then the basic definition of a client that utilizes the features of
     the protocol must be identified somewhere.

     Bill Wagner, DPI