IPP> HTTP transport for IPP

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Thu Apr 10 16:22:40 EDT 1997

Our initial deployment and rationale for IPP is primarily focused
on the end-user scenario. Administration and Management of the
IPP printing service is outside the scope of my document. The
proposal I did does not explicit preclude extensions to allow
administrators to find out URLs for subsequent management requests,
but again, its out of scope.

I'm hoping that my proposal is not evaluated based on requirements
that are out of scope...but I do understand the need for
administration and management and if we want to take that up in
the initial version of IPP, I would be happy to revise the
document to reflect these new requirements.

Concerning Bob's desire to achieve 1 URL, I agree that it would
be simpler. But in analyzing the cost difference (development and
design) between returning 3 URLs and 1 URL, the flexibility and
scalability of the additional URLs was well worth the code. And
from a big picture standpoint, I don't consider the effort at
understanding 1 URL as opposed to 3 URLs noticeable.

Its not that you couldn't do it with 1 URL, it does simplify the
"create-job" response, but it potentially complicates the
design of IPP when obtaining the other URLs, if you need them.

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect