Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Fri Apr 11 12:33:06 EDT 1997

Roger K Debry wrote:

> Classification:
> Prologue:
> Epilogue: Roger K deBry
> Senior Techncial Staff Member
> Architecture and Technology
> IBM Printing Systems
> email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
> phone: 1-303-924-4080
>
> I also prefer one URL!
>
> Although admin functions are not part of the current version of IPP, we clearly
> should not do something now that would make admin functions added later more
> difficult.

I agree. So far, I don't see admin extensions as a problem.

> I think that an end user ought to see and think about TWO objects, the printer
> and the print job.  That's simple and easy to understand. Presenting the user
> with multiple URLs  ( the underlying client system can't be guaranteed to
> completely hide these from the user -- especially in the browser case) seems
> absolutely wrong to me.

Actually, in a true client situation, the end-user never sees URLs, in
fact, he
doesn't even have to know the term 'URL'. And in the browser case, using
multiple URL strings with CGI parameters as HTTP POST targets is the
natural
way to encode IPP operations.

> It ssems to me that Randy indicated that scalability was the main reason for
> returning 3 URLs, but this seems an artifact of using HTTP and the way that a
> web server works.  If we did not use HTTP, would this still be Randy's
> solution???

Yes, my solution for returning multiple URLs is predicated on the fact
that we
are using URLs as object identifiers. According to the model document,
we have
decided to use URLs independent of the underlying transport layer. I
would
propose the same solution for any transport.

In my opinion, funneling everything through 1 URL is too monolithic a
solution
when we have the flexibility of URLs as object identifiers.

By the way, when people talk about 1 URL, are you talking about 1 URL in
the
directory service for each printer? and that all IPP operations for this
printer are to be directed towards this URL?

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect