Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Apr 17 15:43:22 EDT 1997

I'm working on the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) project and we are
considering using ABNF.  However, our attribute names and attribute
value names have hyphens in them.  Also ASN.1 tokens and many ASN.1 based
standards use "-" (hyphen) in token names.  So I was concerned when I heard
that ABNF was changing from using ".." (also used in ASN.1 for ranges) for
ranges to using "-".

I happen to like ".." a lot, since it is natural and has been used in ASN.1
and some programming languages.  So picking something new for ranges
will confuse a lot of people who will be seeing ABNF for the first time.

I'm also concerned that changing to "-" for ranges may create confusion
with "-" in rule names (IPP uses rule names for attribute names and
attribute value names)

Is there some other way to solve the ambiguity problem that you had with
using ".." for ranges, so that ".." could continue to be used for ranges?

If not, then how about some other notation for ranges, such as ":"?

Thanks,
Tom Hastings