Larry Masinter masinter at parc.xerox.com
Wed Apr 30 20:14:11 EDT 1997

> It would be good to get a definitive answer as to whether
> Content-Length takes priority over the boundary string in a
> multipart/*.  At a recent IETF meeting I asked such a question to some
> knowledgeable person who said that Content-Length was ignored in this
> context and that the boundary string was the only way to determine the
> end of a part in a multipart/*. I would prefer that Content-Length
> take priority if it is present.

My take:

It is illegal to send content where the content-length and the boundary
string disagree. So one doesn't take priority over the other. A
recipient
should signal an error if it detects that they are different.

Senders that are at all uncertain about the length of the data should
omit content-length and rely on the boundary alone.

Larry