Scott Lawrence lawrence at agranat.com
Fri May 2 13:09:19 EDT 1997

RKD> 1) Could you provide a short scenario of how using byte ranges
RKD> would work for recovery when sending very large files for those
RKD> of us who are novices in http?  That would be genuinely helpful.

  I'd be glad to, but it will have to wait until after Interop - I
  don't want to attempt a hasty answer and don't have time for more
  than that.  (If anyone on the list will be at Interop, stop by and
  say hello at booth #4206 - it would be good to have faces to go with
  the names :-)

RKD> 2) I can see in your response to my last question see how
RKD> shutting down the connection signals some problem, but I'd like
RKD> to be able to tell the client what the problem is!

  I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this one.  There has been some
  (small) discussion of this on the http-wg list, and there just isn't
  a way to do it in the current protocol at the HTTP layer.  If IPP is
  layered _above_ HTTP, then there may well be an answer; as I
  understand the current thinking there would be a status URL
  associated with any job, so a client who say an early close on the
  file transmission could GET the status URL.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence at agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/