Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Fri May 2 14:53:07 EDT 1997

Let me first state that I think a protocol along the lines of what Roger
and Keith
are suggesting would work, with some additional "filling out" as they
would
normally do if they were to formally spec. this out in a document. It
does
however bring us back to the decision whether or not to use HTTP or a
completely new protocol.

All of the operations and benefits of the protocol suggested could be
accomplished by tightly coupling IPP semantics to HTTP. The "fleshing
out"
of a formal proposal that details Roger and Keith's design would
(IMHO) duplicate alot of what HTTP is already providing. Not that one
way is any better than the other, but like what was suggested by
someone in an earlier protocol telecon, "Do we want to create
another protocol that is 80-100% semantically equivalent to HTTP?"

I think chunking of a multipart message could be done effectively,
similar to what Steve Zilles and I were discussing at the last telecon,
and the feature of being able to return intermediate status between
"SendDocument" operations could be provided by allowing clients to
send jobs using multiple POST operations.

Like I mentioned earlier, I will have a document that references these
mechanisms, and references how Bob Herriot's proposal would have to
change if we were to be HTTP 1.1 compliant. I will have this document
out by the end of the day (today, Friday).

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect