Danknick, Dan Dan_Danknick at cissc.canon.com
Tue May 6 14:26:43 EDT 1997

>I hope we are all balled up in terminology not technology.  From this
>printer manufacturer's perspective, a printer driver creates the
>datastream for a printer.  A "redirector" or "port driver" pushes that
>datastream out the desired physical connection (parallel port, serial
>port, IPX/SPX ethernet, etc.)
>
>My  assumption is that IPP will work with today's drivers but require
>new "redirector" or "port driver" software.

That is certainly the approach we see as a short term solution.
There are of course a number of ways this can be accomplished,
from Java IPP clients to Navigator plug-ins.

The downside of being on the receive-only end of the print stream is
that
it could be difficult to communicate target printer capabilities to the
PDL
generator in advance.

Dan Danknick
Canon Information Systems