Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Tue May 6 17:50:05 EDT 1997

Roger, my comments are below

>>> Roger K Debry <rdebry at us.ibm.com> 05/06 12:49 PM >>>
> I think that I agree with Jay on this one. I fear that we are burdening
> IPP with complexity in order to to solve a problem on a small set of
> servers. Is the class of servers that changes controls in the Postscript
> file a very large piece of the Universe? I suspect not. Rather than solve
> every conceivable problem in this very large universe, we ought to
> get back on track with the rule I thought we agreed to awhile back --
> to solve the few problems well that represent the largest customer
> value.  Over time the rest of the world will catch up and do things
> **right**. Rule (1) below makes no sense to me. Clients (drivers) that
> understand IPP (and therefore know what xxx-capable means)
> ought not to imbed controls in the PDL, period!   I think that adding
> xxx-capable is adding undue complexity!!!

An implemented xxx-capable attribute on a Printer means:

This printer is capable of the features implied by the values of this
attribute, however, in order to have a job realize these features, the
instructions must be in the PDL, not in the external attributes.

An implemented xxx-supported attribute on a Printer means:

This printer supports the features implied by the values of this attribute,
however, in order to have a job realize these features, the instructions
must be in the Job attributes (not in the PDL) and if a similar instruction
happens to be in the PDL, this printer can override that with the value in
the Job attribute.

xxx-capable allows us to work with existing, non IPP aware printer drivers.
xxx-supported allows us to move to a better future with Job attribute,
printer capabilities, and control all outside the PDL (the only reason it is
all mumbled up in the PDL is becuase there has never really been a separate
control channel to a printer, just a data channel).

If we go with Jay's suggestion and just let a client "get what they get" if
they submit job attributes as well as PDL encodded instructions, then maybe
xxx-capable is just for the directory entry (the printer is capapable of
some feature, get the right legacy driver, non IPP aware, and you are off
and running with no job attributes).   But I think it is useful for the
directory at least, perhaps not for client queries directly at the printer.

Scott