Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Wed May 7 14:55:45 EDT 1997

     In theory, at least, any spooler can be sent a job larger than it can
     store (at least at the time). Therefore, unless the model provides for
     identifying the total job size before starting transmission, it would
     be possible that even a "spooling printer" would have to consume some
     portion of the job before being able to accept the entire job.
     Therefore, as has been suggested, a 'non-spooling' printer can be
     considered as one providing very limited spooling capacity.

     But the message exchange seems to have avoided addressing  the basic
     statement that prompted Jay's request that only spooling printers (or
     servers) be considered. Harald had asked:

     "Does the IPP print model have to include the possibility of the first
     portion of the document being printed before the request is completely
     sent to the printer?"

     Tom's response (in part) was:

     "We want to allow IPP to be implemented in a printer that doesn't have
      to spool the data before starting to print.  In other words, we want to
     allow IPP to be used by simple desktop printers.  Unfortunately, this
     does require that resources be declared up front, not at the end."

     Although I happen to agree with Tom, and understood this to be an IPP
     objective, perhaps it is not the proper answer to Harald's question.
     Perhaps, the 'loaded' terms in the answer  (desktop, sooler)
     distracted us from the question.  I therefore would like to resubmit
     the question to see if there is consensus to to whether: "the IPP
     print model [must] include the possibility of the first portion of
     the document being printed before the request is completely sent to the
     printer?".

        Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI