IPP> PRO - Re: Comm Protocols for IPP

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri May 9 15:53:23 EDT 1997

John,

I am forwading this message to the IPP DL for discussion. Is the T.120
protocol definition available for free somewhere on the Internet, and if so
can you give us a reference?  Generally, the IETF is not terribly keen on
using protocols to which there is no public access (or which you can only
get hold of by paying lots of $$$$). Nobody has so far suggested to use
T.120 as an alternative.  Can you give us an idea about what it does and
why you think it would be suitable for IPP?

Please look at our web site at: http://www.pwg.org/ipp if you want to get
more up=to-date information about the IPP project or want information about
how to subscribe to our mailing list.

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros

At 11:15 AM 5/9/97 PDT, John Amenyo wrote:

>I have just started reading the WG draft documents on IPP and I noticed that
>the drafts proposed using HTTP as the transport protocol.
>
>It has occurred to me that the T.120 protocol could play some useful role,
>especially if one is interested in "real-time" tele-printing over the
>Internet.
>
>Could you tell me if the use of T.120 has been considered and if a decision
>or consensus had developed that T.120 could NOT play a role?
>If T.120 has not been explicitly considered/discussed by the WG, would it
>be possible to get the members considered opinions on whether T.120 could
>play a role at all?
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>						jtA

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com