Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue May 20 10:03:37 EDT 1997

At 06:50 PM 5/19/97 PDT, Richard Shockey wrote:

>It just struck me  ... what are the IPP folks doing about exchange of
>capablilities of "Internet Printers"? They must be establishing a session.
>Anyone know what they are doing?

In IPP you can get the capabilities of a printer before trying to send
something to it.  We are also considering a Validate operation in which you
send the attributes of an intended print job to the printer, but without
any print data, to check whether the combination of attributes would be
acceptable in a real print job.  We intend to use HTTP 1.1 as transfer
protocol (warts and all).

Your suspicions that IPP might become a better Internet fax protocol than
Internet Fax might indeed come true :-)

Carl-Uno Manros
IETF IPP WG

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com