Resend: IPP> Resolving IPP/JMP job-state and job-state-reasons

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed May 21 10:07:24 EDT 1997

I wasn't very clear in my previous reply to Bob (attached)
about why there is a need for the generic job-held reason
to indicate that the job isn't a candidate for scheduling.  We only need the
job-held reason, IFF there are any reasons in the pending state that are not
holding up the job.  In IPP, the reasons: job-sending-to-output-device
and job-queued-in-output-device are reasons that the job is in the pending
state, but is not being held up.  So an application program that is flagging
jobs to its user that are not candidates for processing (i.e., are being held),
would NOT want to flag a job that was being sent to the output device or was
already queued in the output device.

Since IPP has a need for the generic job-held reason, so does JMP.

Tom