Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Wed May 21 12:32:05 EDT 1997

>>> Robert Herriot <Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM> 05/20 1:37 PM >>>

> Did we agree to one or two bytes for the length of attribute names?  I
> thought two, just in case we ever use Unicode rather than UTF-8 to
> encode attribute names.  We wouldn't want the attributes to then be
> limited to 127 characters.

I thought all lengths would be 2 or 4 bytes, never just 1.  I thought we
limited attribute names to be the same as keywords now:  US ASCII characters

(a-zA-Z), digits (0-9), hyphen (-) and underscore (_).   We all know the
consequences of not being able to internationalize these attribute names,
but why are you suggesting maybe someday worrying about UTF-8 for attribute
names?

Scott