Caruso,Angelo Angelo_Caruso at wb.xerox.com
Wed May 21 15:48:07 EDT 1997

Tom,

To test my understanding: you are suggesting that the 'retained' sate
 be removed from IPP, the 'terminating' state in IPP be renamed
 'canceled', and the 'needsAttention' state ne removed from the Job
 MIB. Correct?

Note, this will have the side effect of requiring that the
 jobStateReasons1 attribute in the Job MIB become mandatory (for sake
 of the 'printer-stopped' bit). The original motivation for the
 'needsAttention' state was that a job monitoring application could
 quickly determine that the device needs operator intervention without
 having to poll the job state reasons. Even so, I am in favor of making
 the change in order for the IPP and JMP job state models to be as
 identical as possible. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of
 the trade off being made here. If this change is agreed to, then
 should we move the newly-mandatory jobStateReasons1 attribute to the
 job table?

Thanks,
Angelo