Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu May 22 12:42:55 EDT 1997

At 05:21 PM 5/21/97 PDT, Larry Masinter wrote:

>I would assume that "print-job" was a good name for
>what it is that you're sending in submitting a job.
>Maybe you want some more general way to marshall and
>unmarshall an attribute value list, but then there
>are lots of those, including application/directory
>and multipart/form-data. Then you just need a schema
>and a version of the scheme. Right?
>
>Larry
>--

Larry,

I think we are discussing past each other in this conversation.

One of the parameters for application/ipp is intended to be the actual
operation that you want the IPP server to execute. Only one (or possibly
two) of these are actually the "print-job" operation. The other operations
have to do with getting printer capabilities, finding out status of a job
etc.  So I think we are looking for for something more generic than
"application/print-job".

I see the "application/ipp" as a top level label for a number of related
operation requests and responses, each describing what the ISO and ITU
folks call a "Protocol Data Unit", which can be mapped to several different
underlying transfer protocols.

Any problems with that?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com