Frode Hernes frode.hernes at maxware.telemax.no
Fri May 23 09:03:22 EDT 1997

Hi,

> >Using Windows, I trust that applications register the URIs they can ha=
ndle,
> >Netscap register ftp:// and http://, our Directory Browser register LD=
AP://
> >etc. =

> >I would like my Internet Printing application to register IPP:// so th=
at
> >Windows can hand it all print jobs.
> >
> First I address the proxy/firewall problem. Most current proxy/firewall=

> have no knowlege of the "IPP" sheme. =

>  To print over firewall, "ipp://" not practical.
> =

It should be easy to enable another protocol through the firewall (using =
another port), an =

intelligent firewall may descide to block printing anyhow, because the ac=
tual protocol used =

is ipp, not http. If the ipp protocol is as successful as I expect it to =
be, most firewalls will come =

pre-configured to handle this anyway.

Frode.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frode Hernes
MaXware

   12614 Builders Road
   Herndon, VA 20170
   Tel:(703) 435 2587
   Mobile:(703) 919 5166
   Fax:1 (800) 355 2071
   X.400:g=3DFrode;s=3DHernes;o=3DMaXware;a=3DTelemax;c=3DNo
   Mailto:frode.hernes at maxware.telemax.no

MaXware A.S:
   mailto:maxware at maxware.no
   http://www.maxware.no