IPP>PRO - Print by reference

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed Jun 4 15:46:37 EDT 1997

Jeff,

You know, your response leads me to say something that may seem like
a contradiction to some:

  If forced to decide on whether to include Print-by-Reference as
  a base IPP requirements VERSUS having only a single level of IPP
  conformance, then I would vote for the single level of conformance
  in a heartbeat.

Yeah, that means I'd be willing to give up the highly desired feature
of Print-by-Reference if it resulted in a SINGLE level of IPP conformance
for the first release of IPP in the marketplace.

Interoperability is Number One.  All else is subordinate.

Hmmm... that's putting the cart before the horse.  How about:

Pervasive acceptance and deployment is Number One.  And this can only
be achieved (from industry experience) by pervasive interoperability.

Thanks for helping with the prioritization process, Jeff.

	...jay

PS:  Now, about that SWP proposal from Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard...

When are the others in the IPP list going to start the discussion on
this topic, the very thing that created the "Levels of Conformance"
thing in the first place?...