IPP>PRO - Print by reference

THERESA_RHOADES at HP-Boise-om8.om.hp.com THERESA_RHOADES at HP-Boise-om8.om.hp.com
Thu Jun 5 16:52:08 EDT 1997

     Carl,

     On 6/5/97 you wrote:
     >>an assumed restriction in the use of print-by-reference is that it
     would initially only support the retrieval of documents in print ready
     formats, such as Postscript or other PDL.

     What kind of driver requirements will this place on the source?  The
     document provider will need to provide documents in every "print
     ready" format that may exist at that time- PostScript, PCL, PCL-XL,
     PDF, to name a few, and it will need to do this for every printer
     because as we know, practially every printer has a different print
     region, orientation, color space, etc. for which the specific PDL file
     will need to be formatted.  This is basically why every printer has
     it's own driver or PPD file in the first place.  If the owner of the
     document is concerned about the fidelity of the document with which
     they are trying to communicate information, this will place the burden
     on them for determining what and how many print drivers they will need
     to use.

     This is a somewhat exaggerated example but either way, it seems the
     requirement load for print by reference is going to have to increase
     (and potentially skyrocket) somewhere, either on the printer, or on
     the document provider.

     Theresa Rhoades
     Hewlett-Packard, Internet Solutions Operation
     theresa_rhoades at hp.com