IPP> Your IPP article

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jun 6 11:34:40 EDT 1997

At 03:26 PM 6/5/97 PDT, Scott Isaacson wrote:
>Evan,
>
>I too share Carl-Uno's concerns about the "angle" of the article, especially
>the implications of words such as "unravel".
>
>As I said on the phone during our interview, I expect the standards process
>(working group participation and discussion) to  yield a consensus decision
>in a timely manner that results in the best possible standard for Internet
>Printing.  With diligent participation, I have faith in the process.  As you
>correctly represented, I have confidence that we can reach a consensus
>decision in the time frame outlined in the schedule in the working group's
>charter.
>
>As an example of the controversial nature of your article, you state
>"A tentative deal worked out with the companies began to fall apart
>when the participants divided into two factions -- one lead by
>Microsoft, in Redmond, Wash., and the other by Novell, in Orem,
>Utah, meeting participants said."
>
>I made a strong statement in the discussion that you refer to  that a
>successful standard, "simple" standard, should not have multiple levels of
>conformance.  It is interesting that it can be construed as the "dividing of
>companies into two factions."  Especially since 1) I represent my own
>personal opinion and not that of my company, and 2) there were no idividuals
>involved in that immediate phone discussion representing their personal
>opinions who work for Microsoft.  Everyone has their own strong personal
>positions, but the job is to learn to synergistically resolve issues.
>
>A lot has happened since the original printing proposal by Xerox and Novell
>and the associated Novell sponsored press release back in November.   There
>has been a lot of good input and comment from many participants.  I am proud
>to be a part of the working group and I am happy to take a very active role.
> In my own mind, it is now an open  working group initiative not a company
>sponsored initiative.  I am actually very pleased (and surprised in some
>ways) as to how far we have come and the many good agreements that have been
>made to date.
>
>Scott Isaacson

Scott,

thanks for writing this letter to Evan.  I fully agree with it. I sent back
the following short reply to him yesterday:

Evan,

thanks for taking the time to write me, appreciated. You are right that
most of the article gave a correct and accurate description of where we are
standing, the main trouble I had was with the headline and the hints which
seemed to indicate that there was major trouble ahead, which I saw as an
exaggeration.

Thanks,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com