Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Fri Jun 6 17:44:40 EDT 1997

If we are mixing binary and ASCII values within our encoding and require
extensibility with regard to
names, types, and values, then this is the kind of thing ASN.1/BER was
designed for. I suggested
that we just stick with ABNF as our specification and I would have been
happy with that. However,
when we're talking about a more complete, extensible, protocol, in which
registries come into play,
I think ASN.1/BER would be a better solution. It adapts much better to
varying length TLV
(type, length, value) pair operations and allows implementations (later
versions) of a protocol to
adapt easier. (i.e., no version eschange or negotiation).

Randy