IPP>MOD more new operations?

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Thu Jun 12 23:07:08 EDT 1997

I think its an interesting idea, something akin to what I was
thinking about when I was using multiple URLs and create-job was
just a very simple object creation thing.

But given where we are right now, I don't think there's enough
advantage in doing this to fatten up the protocol with more
operations. We just added two, which on reflection we probably
could have used attributes to accomplish but I understand the
rationale. I think at this point we should just flesh out what
we have and if what we have doesn't cut it with the overall
IPP requirements then we start fattening it up some more or
re-think our requirements.

Its not that what you're proposing couldn't be accomplished with
our current set of operations, it would just be a little more
bulky to pull it off. And ultimately, I'm not sure if the future
IPP world will be interactive or batch-driven. All I can do is
look at how systems work today (batch) and attempt to model them.

Randy