Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 07:46:12 EDT 1997

In IBM's IPDS data stream we have used what we call "triplets" for over a
decade in encoding infomation in the data stream.
A triplet is a structure of the form:

length - 2 bytes
id - 2 bytes
data - n bytes, where n is defined by the length field.

All IDs are registered and define the type of data and associated semantic if
any of the content.

Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology