Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Jun 16 20:02:06 EDT 1997

I went to IANA to see what MIME types are registered, since IPP Model
and Protocol are considering using the "MIME types", instead of
the Printer MIB assigned enums for the values of the document-format
attribute.

I'd like to discuss this tommorrow at the IPP Protocol meeting.

What I found was the following under "Media Types":

The "media-types" directory contains a subdirectory for each content
type and each of those directories contains a file for each content
subtype.

                               |-application-
                               |-audio-------
                               |-image-------
                 |-media-types-|-message-----
                               |-model-------
                               |-multipart---
                               |-text--------
                               |-video-------

   URL = ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types

The three registered media types that seem of interest to IPP
that have some corresondence to the Printer MIB enum registry (also
kept by IANA as printer-languages) are:

application/postscript
application/vnd.hp-PCL
application/pdf

Even though pdf doesn't have an IANA printer-language enum assignment
(no Printer MIB PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC).

So I went to each of the sub-directories for the 3 above to find out
about them:

application/postscript had the following:

See RFC 1341.

application/vnd.hp-PCL had the following: