Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jun 20 14:09:56 EDT 1997

At 08:04 06/20/97 PDT, JK Martin wrote:
>This is the kind of request that makes some people believe IPP is
>"too fat", IMHO, and that IPP tends to represent "DPA Lite".

Jay,

We had agreed at the protocol meeting to remove a lot of fat from
Get-Jobs: we removed all filters (see pages 28-29 of IPP Model).
So the Job Owner and Job States input parameters are gone.
The requester now gets all jobs in all states.

This request was to put back the most important capability, namely
whether to return completed jobs or not.

Yes, a user can get back a list of jobs by getting an HTML page back,
but a program can't process HTML.

Perhaps you are suggesting that IPP never return completed/canceled/
aborted jobs, and that a program use the Job Monitoring MIB to get
back completed/canceled/aborted jobs?

By the way, having two protocols (IPP and SNMP Job Monitoring MIB) that
get at the same information is not as harmful as you seem to suggest.
It gives two views into the same implementation.  As long as we make
sure there is harmonization of syntax and semantics between the two,
then we are giving the application writer the choice of which protocols
to use.  For example, a driver that uses IPP to submit and cancel, should
also be able to use IPP to show the status, instead of being forced to
also implement SNMP and the Job Monitoring MIB.

Finally, we clarified that the protocol meeting that the IETF needs
a MIB for managing the IPP network protocol, e.g., the number of octets
passed, the number of octets returned, the number of job acceptances,
the number of job rejections, etc., but is not mandating a MIB for
the service, such as the Job Monitoring MIB.

Tom