Sylvan Butler SBUTLER at hpbs2024.boi.hp.com
Fri Jun 20 17:00:01 EDT 1997

>> That is what I was thinking on Tuesday 6/17, but actually doing
>> something with it and covering all the possibilities with ASCII seems
>> noticably more complex to implement and to test, and for no apparent
>> benefit.
>
>There are many of us (most of us??) who do not believe the statement
>that "ASCII seems noticably more complex to implement and to test".

When there is more code containing more loops and more conditionals
the testing of that code is more complex.

>Furthermore, we do not believe the statement of "for no apparent
>benefit".

Let's discuss these benefits.  I suggest a thread with "benefits of
ASCII" in the subject line, but this thread will probably suffice.

>Again I must ask:  what are we doing in IPP that is fundamentally
>different than other web-oriented transactions utilizing HTTP?  Others

HTTP is used to transfer a lot of binary material (primarily,
according to the stats on a small proxy cache I run).  We are
primarily binary material.

>have not found a need to degenerate to binary encodings, so why should

"degenerate"?  What is the term for that rhetorical technique...

>Staying in a text-only domain leverages the many text-based development
>tools prevalent in today's web-centric environments that span the

Good.  I like that benefit.  I can see how it might be important.

Will those tools deal with precise delimiters in specific
quantities, combined with length-preceded chunks of binary data
which may contain various delimiters (as defined by 6/17)?  And
those same tools are unable to deal with binary encodings?

sdb

 | Sylvan Butler | sbutler at boi.hp.com | AreaCode 208 Phone/TelNet 396-2282 |