IPP> Encoding

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 20 21:57:26 EDT 1997

I think what you and Brian are trying to define is a set of values where
each value has a name associated with it.

As long these names are fixed, this is just a new data type with implicit
names associated with each member of the set.

Since we have said that a client either has this information hardwired
(version 1) or can get typing information from a server ( a later version),
there is no need for the parameter representation to store the names
of individual members.  This problem is much like the compiling of
a C struct.

If you are looking for an attribute to contain a list of attributes
where the name is unknown in advance and where each is single valued,
then there could be a datatype which is a set of 2-tuple where each
2-tuple is a name and a value.  We talked about this solution for a set
of integer ranges.  The hard case is for attributes that are
multivalued.

The point of all this is that our current protocol representation for
sets gives use a 95% solution and that is simple and good enough for now.

Bob Herriot