Michael W. Bringmann michael at rd.qms.com
Mon Jun 30 17:27:59 EDT 1997

[snip]
> The kind of restrictions that a firewall might impose include:
>
> - Only requests from a set of known TCP/IP address ranges
> - Only one copy of each document

Why would a firewall restrict the number of copies of a document?
Would the firewall scan the data stream for the IPP 'copies' attribute
and abort the document if it were present?

> - Only black & white printing

Why and how would a firewall restrict an image to black & white?
This implies examination of the actual document content to me,
something which you later state is probably not going to occur.
Jobs might be limited to black & white due to document size
constraints, but not just because they are color.

> - Only documents up to a certain size
> - No multiple document jobs
> - No print-by-reference jobs
>
> I expect that it is unlikely that the firewall software would be able to
> check for features specified in the actual document content (e.g. as
> specified in a Postscript statement).

[snip]

Thanks.

 Michael W. Bringmann                    EMail: michael at rd.qms.com
 Senior MTS                              Web:   http://www.qms.com
 Mail:  QMS Incorporated                 Phone: (334) 633-4300 x1765
        Mobile, AL, 36688, USA