IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jul 17 21:33:41 EDT 1997

> From cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com Thu Jul 17 18:17:07 1997
>
> 1)  Either the Printer is open (non-secure), in which case the server
> should return all the information.
>
> 2) Or the Printer is limiting access through some security restrictions,
> usually requiring authentication and authorization. In this case,
>
> a) the client is either accepted and gets all the information,
> b) or it does not pass the security check and does not get anything.
>
> In consequence, I suggest that there is no half-way house cases where the
> server would return some, but not all of the information and we should
> amend the model document to reflect this.

I disagree, a secure printer could reveal some but not all information about
a job.  We have left the degree of information purposely vague so that
a Printer can return as little or as much information as it wants based
on who is asking.

What Paul proposed was that a Printer could not refuse to return a job-uri
with Get-Jobs, though it could return a special job-uri that was different
from what the job owner might get.

Bob Herriot