IPP>MOD Issue with best-effort

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Jul 21 17:20:56 EDT 1997

Yes, you have accurately summed up the "best-effort" semantics which
I have proposed calling it "may-ignore-attributes", except for
your item 1.

The client isn't quite asking the printer to do its best. Rather it is
saying "do what you understand and ignore what you don't, but I want
output".  HTTP has a similar philosophy.  This seems like good behavior
for work-group printers. The higher standard of "do exactly what I
asked or print nothing" is more suitable for production printing.

Bob Herriot