Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Tue Jul 22 11:12:51 EDT 1997

>>> Roger K Debry <rdebry at us.ibm.com> 07/21 7:33 AM >>>
<RKD> If I understand correctly, the response would contain
<RKD> the following unsupported attributes:
<RKD>      o finishing = saddle-stitch
<RKD>      o number-up = unsupported
<RKD> Right?

Yes, this is what I understand.  I will try to fix the model document
language.

<RKD>
<RKD> I don't agree with it being optional for the printer
<RKD> to return only a partial list of unsupported attributes
<RKD> as you suggest.

The model document should say that if the Printer rejects the Job for
one or more unsupported attribute or value, then it MUST return at least
one of them in the 'unsupported attributes' output parameter.  It is not
optional to not return anything at all in addition to  the error code.
However, the notion of returning ALL unsupported attributes (if there are
more
than one) might be too burdensome for all implementations.  The model
document needs to say something like " the Printer SHOULD return all
unsupported attributes and values but if it is unable to do so, the Printer
MUST return at least one if there are more than one",

<RKD> How does the client know what's wrong
<RKD> if the Printer does not have to send back accurate
<RKD> error information?  If everyone else agrees with
<RKD> this being optional then it should be made clear in
<RKD> the document ... currently I don't believe it makes
<RKD> this clear at all. I read it as saying the entire list
<RKD> is sent back.

Thanks for the critical reading and feedback.

Scott