IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway

John Wenn jwenn at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Aug 5 08:54:02 EDT 1997

My question is, what are the user name & client host used for?  According to
the Model draft, the Name attribute [job-originating-user] is required and
host attribute is optional [job-originating-host].

LPR just get the user name and client host from the client environment.  This
is probably adequate for unauthenticated IPP transactions.

For authenticated IPP transactions, the user name can be taken from the Basic
or Digest authentication fields.  The notion of client host isn't defined, but
the realm can play a similar role.  Realms are defined by the server, and are
used to provide context for the user name (avoiding name clashes).

There is a major difference between LPD user names and authenticated IPP user
names.  That is since the IPP user name are based on interactions with a
particular server, one user can have several different user names (one for
each server).  This is different from LPD where a user generally had the same
name when using different servers.

Another issue the sequence of how a user is authenticated with the server.

  1) A client makes a request of the server.
  2) The server notifies the client that access is denied, and it needs to be
authenticated.  This is when the server tells the client the realm.
  3) The client acquires the user name & password and resubmits the original
request to the server.  The details of how the credentials are passed from
client to server are the main difference between Basic & Digest authentication.
  4) The server checks the client credentials and accepts or rejects the
request.

So the client has unauthenticated communications with the server (with the
unauthenticated user name) until such time the server requires authorization.
Then the client gets the authenicated user name and uses that for further
communications.  So the job-originating-user will differ depending on where in
the sequence it is.

The issue does need to be clarified and addressed, probably in the security
document.

/John