IPP> MIME-types and alignment

Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 19 09:54:04 EDT 1997

If we take Keith's direction, do we need to register new MIME types
to represent all of the PDLs currently in the model document? Who
owns the responsibility to do this?

Roger K deBry
Senior Technical Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
phone: 1-303-924-4080

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 08/19/97 07:46
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        08/19/97 03:44 AM
Please respond to ipp-owner at pwg.org @ internet

To: masinter @ parc.xerox.com @ internet, don @ lexmark.com @ internet
cc: ipp @ pwg.org @ internet
Subject: Re: IPP> MIME-types and alignment

Don,

during the Application Area Chairs'' meeting in Munich last Wednesday, I
asked Keith to amplify on his request to use MIME types rather than enums.
This resulted in Keith stating that we should see this as a directive from
him in his role as our project advisor.

My interpretation is that it does not seem likely that we will be able to
avoid the MIME-types.

Carl-Uno

At 12:14 PM 8/18/97 PDT, don at lexmark.com wrote:
>I content that when the latest and in some cases the previous
>versions of printers from Lexmark, HP, IBM, Kyocera, Tektronix,
>and Xerox support the printer MIB including the enum list of
>printer interpreters then it is not simply "hypothetical" nor is
>it "...not widely deployed..."
>
>I suggest you might not want to base your conclusions on this
>obviously wrong set of facts.
>
>Don

>* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
>* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
>* Lexmark International                      *
>* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
>* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
>* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
>

> (Embedded
> image moved   masinter%parc.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com
> to file:      08/18/97 02:18 PM
> PIC31334.PCX)
>

>To:   rturner%sharplabs.com at interlock.lexmark.com
>cc:   ipp%pwg.org at interlock.lexmark.com (bcc: Don Wright)
>Subject:  IPP> MIME-types and alignment
>

>>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith
>>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking
>>     with MIME-type specifications.
>To be more precise:
>When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print
>instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment
>with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for
>message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with
>some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management
>and monitoring of the status of a device.
>

>Attachment Converted:
"C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\PIC31334.PCX"

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com