Jim Walker walker at dazel.com
Tue Sep 9 16:40:39 EDT 1997

Some comments on these IPP<->LPD gateway discussions...

... I agree with Scott that the gateway between IPP and legacy
    systems should *not* be the driving force behind our design.

... There seems to be a base assumption that mapping a from a
    LPD job identifier (integer) to an IPP job URL is a difficult
    problem.  I would assert that it is not.  We have a gateway
    that has been in existence for four years now that solves this
    exact problem: it maps from the LPD job identifiers to an opaque
    printer-independent job identifier.

    And folks, it wasn't that hard to do.

later...
...walker