Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Tue Sep 9 20:05:04 EDT 1997

Paul Moore wrote:

> The new job MIB defines a 32-bit job identifier that persists as a way
> of identifying a job.
>
> The Win32 API does the same - used on the vast majority of the world's
> desktops.
>
> Bob H says that UNIX uses a 32 bit job ID in the same way.
>
> It's not like I am suggesting that we use something obscure,
> non-published or only used by 1% of the world. I am suggesting that we
> may want to leverage some of the exisiting software in the world.

server to access the Win95 print spooler. You have to use the
job-id (DWORD value) returned by the AddJob() API call. You will
then have to maintain a mapping between this Win95-derived job-id
and the job-id/job-uri returned by a remote IPP server. We are not
proposing replacing the existing software in the world, just
supplementing it.

I think the job MIB also specifies an octet string for supplemental
job identification (is this right Tom H.?)

Randy