IPP> MOD - Allow more JT attributes to be document attributes

IPP> MOD - Allow more JT attributes to be document attributes

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Sep 10 15:26:46 EDT 1997

As we add more attributes to the document level, we are making
validation more difficult.  With document level attributes it is
possible for CreateJob to succeed and for a later SendDocument to
fail because of an unsupported attribute.  Thus the success of
CreateJob is no longer an indicator of success and ValidateJob isn't
either because it assumes that all attributes are job level.
An attribute supported at the job level may fail at the document
level.

So I ask, are we starting down another slippery slope that should
best wait for some version after IPP Version 1.0? When we just
had document-format, we could mandate that it must be the same for
all documents, as required by some print systems. We could do the
same for compression. But now with document-k-octets, and additional
proposed attributes, things are getting more difficult.

The real issue is whether ALL attributes, even document ones, should be
in the PrintJob/CreateJob operation so that a job can be fully
validated during the initial operation, or should document level
attributes be in the SendDocument operation where it may be more
convenient to send them.  There are pros and cons. I think that we may
find it hard to make an irrevocable commitment at this late hour.

Bob Herriot