Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Tue Sep 16 18:23:12 EDT 1997

 PAPowell wrote:
..snip..
>The LPRng interface quite happily delivers errors.
>And note that it is free, compiles and runs on just about any UNIX system
>with TCP/IP networking, and there is even an NT port (Don't ask, it wasn't
>pretty).

The context of our LPR/LPD gateway has been constrained on the widely
deployed version that come shipped with Sun, HP, IBM, and other Unix
boxes, which is more or less based on RFC 1179 (with vendor extensions)
and for which the line mode interface I was referring to is the predominant
interface. I don't think any other implementation is worth considering at this
point, given the amount of mapping we have to do just to this particular
version. If we take on other shareware version of LPR/LPD, we could be
here awhile; there are a bunch of 'em, for all platforms.

Randy