IPP>MOD document object problem for SendURI

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Sep 19 21:40:29 EDT 1997

We made a decision to eliminate all document attributes because we didn't want
to design the mechanism for returning one attribute per document for version 1.0.

I agree with that decision.  But now I have realized that SendURI has to send
a separate document-URI for each Send-URI operation which means there is a
separate value of document-URI for each document.

The following are possible solutions:

    1) bad idea: solve the multiple-document-attribute problem

    2) OK maybe: document-URI is an operation attribute that does
       not stick to the job object. That is, Get-Attributes does not
       return a document-URI created by a Send-URI operation.
       Get-Attributes could return a document-URI value set by
       Print-URI but it might seem strange that document-URI is
       available for Print-URI jobs but not Create-Job/ Send-URI jobs.

    3) OK maybe: eliminate Send-URI in version 1.0, but keep Print-URI which
       doesn't have this problem.

#3 is probably a little bit better than #2.

Bob Herriot