IPP> ADM - Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference on 970924

IPP> ADM - Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference on 970924

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Sep 24 20:45:07 EDT 1997

Scott,

Here is some new wording for job-name initialization that relates to
the discussion item from today's teleconference, as described in the
minutes (see excerpt below).

The following change should be made to section 4.3.4, line 1625 of your
9/3/97 document. I have changed a MAY to a SHOULD because I think that
it more what we intended.

Existing sentence preceding the change:

If, however, it [the job-name] is not supplied by the client in the
create request, the Printer, on creation of the Job SHALL generate a
name.

New Sentence:

The printer SHOULD generate the value of the job-name from the
first of the three following sources that produces a value: 1)
"document-URI" of the first (or only) document, 2) "document-name" of
the the first (or only) document, 3) some piece of Job specific
information.

Removed Sentence:

The printer MAY choose to use the value of the "document-name" of the
first (or only) document (or any piece of Job specific information) as
a basis for generating a job name.

Additional comment

The description for "document-name" does not state whether it can be
present when a "document-URI" is present, but my recollection is that
we said it could be.  That is, it is not necessarily the file name of
the document.