Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Thu Sep 25 13:15:02 EDT 1997

Randy and Jay and Bob were discussing the issue of how to support
multiple-documents, each with a different PDL, and only one job level
attribute called "document-format" (or "job-document-format") to describe
the whole mess.  There was some concern about IPP's ability to support
multiple documents each with a different PDL.

I submit, this can be realized when the client supplies nothing or
supplies the value  "application/octet-stream" (for auto-sensing)
the job level "document-format".  Then each of the documents could be
whatever PDL they wanted. The implementations that support multiple PDLs
would probably do the auto-sense anyway at the beginning of each document.

This does not give IPP clients the ability do control the PDL used/sensed
for each document in Version 1.0, but this more subtle and advanced
control can be added later.  At least in V1.0, IPP does support multiple
documents per Job and multiple PDLs among those documents.

Scott

Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: scott_isaacson at novell.com
W: http://www.novell.com