IPP> Re: REQ - Requirements Document Issues

don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Fri Oct 10 10:21:06 EDT 1997

Here are the actions and responses to Carl-Uno's suggestions
for the Requirements document....

>Not to keep you in suspense any longer, here are a number of things that I
>found, while scanning through the latest version of the requirements
document:
>Page 6:
>
>Users want to limit the scope of their search when locating a printer:
>- inside a functional sub-domain
>- include only a particular domain
>- exclude specified domains
>
>We have no Directory or Printer attributes defined to support this.

"Outside the scope" statement added;
>Page 13:
>
>Printer discovery:
>- cost per page to print [also in several other places]
>- maximum job size (spool size)
>- payment required for printing
>- printer supports compression
>
>We have no Directory or Printer attributes to support this.

"Outside the scope" statement added

>Page 15:
>
>We talk about "marking technology" here [and in various other places].
>
>We have "printer description" which might include this in text form, but
no
>explicit Printer attribute, which tells whether a printer is ink-jet,
>laser, etc.

Deleted
>Page 22:
>
>Select printer based on:
>- usable by department J15
>
>We do not have an explicit Directory or Printer attribute for this. You
>could use some authorization mechanism to achieve this, but it seems a bit
>farfetched.

Changed to "- accessible by the client"
>Page 24:
>
>Select a printer based on:
>- is a public printer (accessible from outside a firewall)
>
>We have no explicit Directory or Printer attribute to support this. The
>presence of a "printer-tls-uri" attribute might give a hint about this,
but
>does not have this semantic.

Deleted "accessible from outside a firewall"

>Page 26:
>
>Printer discovery:
>
>- Is in Downtown Boulder
>- Give me the Printer's public key
>
>Although we have an unstructured Printer location attribute, is it likely
>that we can do this kind of match?
>
>We do not have a Directory attribute for the Printer's public key.

Change "Downtown Boulder" to just Boulder Colorado
Deleted "Give me the Printer's public key"
>Page 51:
>
>Searching for printers:
>
>- takes my VISA card
>- gives me a rough cost per page
>
>We have a generic text Printer attribute for printer description, but can
>you request and search on it?
>
>We have no Directory or Printer attribute to support this.

Removed

Don

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *